Honey chilli potato is a very delicious starter loved by both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. This dish takes a bit of time to make from the scratch but the end result is totally worth the effort. Serve it when you host a party and it will be a clear winning dish.
- Potato: 4 nos
- Plain Flour: 1/2 cup
- Rice Flour: 1/2 cup
- Sesame Seeds: 2 tbsp
- Garlic: 4-5 cloves
- Green Chilli: 2-3 slit
- Onion: 1 small sliced
- Capsicum: 1/2 small sliced
- Light Soya Sauce: 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Sauce: 1 tbsp
- Tomato Ketchup: 1 tbsp
- Black Pepper Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Honey: 2-3 tbsp
- Sugar: 1/2 tsp
- Corn Flour: 1 tbsp (optional)
- Spring Onion: 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Peel 4 medium size potatoes and cut them in the shape of French fries. Add 4 cups of water and 2 tsps of salt to the potatoes and put it on a stove. When it starts boiling, reduce the flame to medium low and let it boil for 4-5 mins. Take the potatoes off the stove and drain the water completely.
- To the boiled potatoes add 1 heaped tbsp of plain flour and rice flour respectively and coat it on the potatoes gently without breaking.
- In another bowl add 1/4 cup of plain flour, same quantity rice flour, a bit of salt as per taste and add water to make a thick batter. Coat the potatoes with the batter.
- Now this recipe requires to fry the potato twice. So in a pan add enough oil to deep fry the potatoes and fry it in medium to low flame, take it out before it turns golden. Once the entire potato is fried in batches, put them again in the oil all at the same time in high heat and let it fry for a minute or till it turns golden. Once this is attained, take out the potatoes.
- In a wok or kadai, pour 2-3 tbsp of oil. When it heats up add chopped up garlic, 2-3 slits of green chilli and 1 tsp of sesame seeds and stir for half a minute. To this add sliced onion, capsicum, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp sugar and give it a nice stir.
- Add 1 tsp soya sauce, 1 tbsp red chilli sauce, 1 tbsp tomato ketchup and 1/2 tsp black pepper powder and mix them very well till combined. Pour half a cup water into this and let it boil. Reduce the sauce a little bit. If it feels watery, you can add 1 tbsp corn flour mixed with water, a spoon at a time till you get a thick consistency and turn off the stove.
- To this add some spring onion greens and 2-3 tbsp of honey (be generous with honey because it balances out the sauces and increases the taste). Put in the fried potatoes to the wok and give it a good stir till the sauce coat the potatoes well.
- Serve the Honey Chilli Potatoes after garnishing it with chopped spring onion greens, toasted sesame seeds and red chilli flakes.