Sweet potato is a very underrated vegetable. We seldom use it in our cooking and even if we does, we end up boiling it. I made the sweet potato chips for the first time after seeing the recipe in a cookbook and to my surprise it tasted so similar to one of the popular snack we make in Kerala known as “Achappam”, made with rice flour, coconut milk, sugar and eggs which looks very identical to the rosette cookies.
This is a very easy recipe, made with just three ingredients and is so crispy and delicious. Pair it up with some thyme lemonade (recipe available on my Instagram page and website) and its definitely a binge worthy snack.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
- Sweet Potato: 500 gm
- Vegetable Oil or Sunflower Oil, for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- Half-fill a saucepan with oil and heat over high heat.
- Peel the sweet potato and using a vegetable peeler, shave the flesh into long strips.
- When the oil is heated, cook the sweet potato strips in batches until lightly golden in colour.
- Once its golden, take it out and drain on paper towels. The chips will beome crispy on cooling.
- Sprinkle it with salt and serve.
PS: You can also sprinkle the sweet potato with other condiments such as chilli powder, dried rosemary, any of your favourite hot spice mix, or even ground cinnamon mixed with some sugar.