Meringue kisses are one of the most good looking desserts I’ve made. Its so glossy and vibrant and almost melts in your mouth. But making these require so much patience because getting it right is tough. Its technical in a way and it is very important that you get the measurement of the ingredients right. Whipping the egg white and sugar to get the right consistency is also crucial. So before going to the recipe there are few points to keep in mind.
- Make sure the bowl used for whipping and the whisk attachment isn’t wet in any way. It better to wipe the bowl and the whisk attachment with vinegar dipped kitchen towl.
- The amount of powdered sugar should always be double the amount of the egg white. Its better to use a measuring tumbler to get the ratio right.
- Keep the eggs out of the fridge at least 30 mins before whisking. Eggs in room temperature gives meringue better consistency.
- While separating the egg whites make sure that no egg yolk gets mixed up with it. Even a drop of egg yolk will make the meringues deflate easily.
- If you are using food colouring to give some colour to the meringue kisses, it is better to use gel food colouring.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
- Egg White: 100 g
- Powdered Sugar: 200 g
- Vanilla Essence: 1 tsp
- Gel Food Colouring
- Whisk the egg whites in a low speed. When small bubbles start to form increase the speed to high and keep whipping till the egg whites doesn’t fall off the bowl when its held upside down.
- Keep whisking at high speed while adding powdered sugar gradually, a spoon at a time. Whisk for 5 mins and check if there are any sugar lumps. If there are any keep whisking till there aren’t any lumps.
- Add vanilla essence and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Attach the round tipped nozzle on the piping bag. If you’d like to use some colours, this is the time to give a few strokes of gel food colouring using a brush in the piping bag.
- Using a spoon add the whisked meringue mix into the piping bag. Line a baking tray with baking paper and pipe the mix by holding the piping bag vertically over, an inch away from the tray. Keep your hands steady and give the piping bag a good press and pulling away vertically once the meringue kisses are achieved.
- Preheat the oven at 100 degree C and bake the meringue kisses at 100 degree C for 40 mins.